Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Useful Genetics!

Next spring I'm going to be teaching a 'massively open online course' (a MOOC) titled Useful Genetics.  You can read all about it here: https://www.coursera.org/course/usefulgenetics.

The motivation for this course arises from the opinion piece I published a few months ago in PLOS Biology - "Why do we have to learn this stuff?" a new genetics for 21st century students.  My goal will be to teach an academically rigorous genetics course that cuts out the no-longer-relevant stuff and emphasizes the parts useful to non-scientists.

It will be sufficiently different from conventional genetics courses that I think I'll have to develop most of it from scratch, including learning how to make videos.  Luckily I'll have the support of UBC's awesome Centre for Teaching and Learning Technology.

The current icon and promo video were made in a rush (UBC didn't get everyone on side until the last minute.  The video is OK for now, but the icon is slick and content-free:


I hope to soon replace it with something like this:


No comments: