Monday, March 04, 2013

Teaching personal genomics - the commercial issues

(Apologies for the long interval of dead air...)

I'm working on the video lectures for my upcoming MOOC Useful Genetics, and I'm stalled at Module 5, on personal genomics.  I know from our preliminary survey that this is something many students will be especially interested in. 

One factor that makes these videos different from the rest is that I'll be discussing services that are provided mostly by for-profit companies.  When I taught this in my face-to-face class, I found that students were particularly sensitive to this -- when I said positive things about 23andMe's interface, or marveled about how inexpensive genetic testing has become, they worried that I might have a commercial interest in the providers.

Another issue is copyright.  I don't think I can use images from commercial providers' pages without their permission, but obtaining such permissions is likely to be a big pain in the butt.

So I guess the solution is to avoid mention of specific providers, and just discuss the general types of services that are available.  Students will want to know how these analyses work, what kinds of information they provide, why consumers might choose to use such services, how to choose a particular provider, and how to interpret the information they obtain. 

The students can discuss specific providers and their services in the forums.  My job is to provide the information and issues that will help frame these discussions.  I think I'll want to explicitly explain this approach in the overview video for this module.

20 comments:

Alejandra said...

Can anyone register for this course?

Alejandra said...

I mean. I'm not from UBC, and I already signed, but will I be allowed to take the course anyway?

Unknown said...

Should there be another persuasive post you can share next time, I’ll be surely waiting for iadvertising | advertisment| production houses in pakistant

Unknown said...

This a good way to appreciate the teacher as they put their efforts to train students. UK Dissertation Writers appreciates the teachers.
Dissertation Help

Unknown said...

This is really great work. Thank you for sharing such a useful information here in the blog for students.
Power and Authority Sociology Homework
Assignment Writing Services

Java Assignment Provider said...

I am so happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation that's at the other blogs. Java Homework Help Online

Operations Management said...

This is really great work. Thank you for sharing such a useful information here in the blog for students.Operations Management Project

Assignment Helper said...

This site and the resources you provide is really nice keep it up. Economics Assignment Help Online

Unknown said...

Really i appreciate the effort you made to share the knowledge. This is really a great stuff for sharing. Keep it up . Thanks for sharing. Power and Authority Sociology Homework

Jos Buttler said...

The leading assignment help UK firm offers state of the art services to its clients with a promise of delivering all the required work well within the deadline. Corporate Finance Homework Help

Jack willium said...

I personally like your post; you have shared good insights and experiences. Keep it up.
Planting Tomatoes

Assignment Helper said...

I am so happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation that's at the other blogs. My Homework Help

Unknown said...

I’m really impressed with your article, such great & usefull knowledge you mentioned here Traditional Authority Sociology Help

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot for the post. It has helped me get some nice ideas. I hope I will see some really good result soon. Electromagnetic Research

Jos Buttler said...

I want to say about this article, uummm this is amazing and nice post. Corporate Finance Homework Help

Unknown said...

Hi buddy, your blog' s design is simple and clean and i like it. Your blog posts about Online writing Help are superb. Please keep them coming. Greets! Planting Tomatoes

Matlab Assignment Helper said...

Such a nice post, keep up the fantastic work. Matlab Assignment Help

Programmer said...

Hi buddy, your blog' s design is simple and clean and i like it. Your blog posts about Online Dissertation Help are superb. Please keep them coming. Greets!!. Tracking Services Programming Homework Help

Mike Jasson said...

I appreciate this work amazing post for us I like it. Accounting Homework Help

Assignment Help said...

Awesome blog.Thanks for share.
Assignment Help for Hire